Friday, September 11, 2009

Some say the speech, i gave was brilliant, other say they didn't hear it all, so i have transcribed it below

..."Any questions", He asked

"Sir, Will i look foolish?"

He smiled and shrugged and said "I don't know, that all depends on you"

With that, he shaved my head, for the first time.


That was a big step for me, but just a small particle of who i am.
How do i tell You who i am in 2 minuets or less?
i am my brothers, my mentor
i am Anita Bryant, Jerry Falwell
i am my first love, every broken heart, a haiku in Drummer Magazine
i am a pair of boots that gave me a boner, in the store window
i am a guy, who was sitting at the dinner table the evening my Mentor told us of His plan to start a scholarship fund
i am the guy who was flipping burgers down the street to raise money for the endowment
i am everyone i ever hurt or helped and all that have hurt or helped me.

i am a friend of the The Pride Foundation a worthy organization who, strengthen our community through their network of generosity

Who am i?
i am Corey Krantz
reminding you, the future is in our hands.
Please actively support the Tony DeBlase scholarship fund
(9/5/09)

It would be easy to put the contest stuff back into a box and let it sit for a year till I decide weather or not to enter again or just enjoy the experience and move on. But that isn't my style. Besides I still have the same agenda I did before the contest and see no reason why losing should change that. In reality, I have more time, with less obligations than the winners. So, my plan is to ask everyone I know to join me in donating $5 a month (or more, if possible) to the Pride Foundation. Please add a memo and mention Tony DeBlase so the money gets put in the right account. Remember my analogy about a blade of grass... one doesn't seem very significant, but a bunch of them, can make for a beautiful well manicured lawn.

The scholarship, as it stands, will help students for many years, but it is only 'seed' money, helping to cultivate, but not enough to really give the students the foundation to to thrive. I must tell you that the scholars that apply and receive money from the Tony DeBlase scholarship are an amazing group. Amazing enough, that one old man on the committee was so inspired, that he entered a contest to help raise public awareness and money for the scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment