Sunday, August 9, 2009

Everyone has too much of something

Everyone has more than they need of something. Some have too much time. Others have too much talent. Without getting political, President Obama's plea to volunteer is very worthwhile. Everyone admires thoses who went off to hurricane ravaged New Orleans after the storm, to help. But you don't have to go 1000's of miles or be a wealthy professional. You, can help out around the corner from your home. Volunteering your time and energy can be very rewarding on so many levels. If you generally meet people online or in bars and aren't happy with the quality of people you're meeting, try donating time to an organization that you admire. My Dad told my once "You never know where you are going to meet your best friend". He was right.
For many, it's tough to give up hard earned money for things like scholarships, when there are SO many other worthy organizations that need help, after all food banks, hospices, animal shelters natural disasters, are always in need. For me, I had a recurring payment, I would make through my bill payer application, through my bank, I sent the Pride foundation $5 a month. I liked this, because I could still control when the payment went out but didn't need to remeber to write a check or pay for postage. Frankly, I can piss away $5 on a beer or coffee treat without giving it a second though. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I know a lot of others were doing the same. Just like a blade of grass , not very significant in and of it's self, yet a well manicured lawn... well you probably get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment