Saturday, August 8, 2009

Why Why Why?


So, who am I and why am I here? I needed to create a bio for myself this was what I came up:

Corey has been involved with The Tony De Blase Scholarship, since its inception. In the past, flipping Hamburgers during Sunday Barbecues to help endow the scholarship. During the last three years, he has been sitting on the selection committee, for the Pride Foundation. amazed at the incredible quality of young scholars, working to shape their world. He is a fiercely loyal friend, When Corey isn't working as a spice merchant in a Pike Place spice shop, he can be found tending his small, but sincere pumpkin patch and learning the craft of beekeeping.

But that is just a facet of the whole of me. I am pushing 50 years old, and feel pretty darn good about my self physically, which may have some effect as to why I have chosen to enter. But even that isn't the entire story. For the past few years, I have been sitting on the committee that selects recipients of the scholarship money. Each year, I have been completely blown away by the caliber of the applicants. As a gay man, who lived through the worst of the AIDS years, losing my brother and partner in the process, I have gone through the last 15 + years feeling bruised and damaged. The scholarship has given me a chance to see a hopeful future, through the eyes and works of some phenomenal young people that has been my honor to meet.

So, I asked the question, how can we raise more money to help these people more? This was my solution

No comments:

Post a Comment