Saturday, August 29, 2009

WWjD

So, The contest is upon us. Things are still less than settled, but I am still confidant that everything will work itself out. When things start to get too crazy and I am losing my sense of humor, I realize that this is about having fun, making contacts and building the scholarship fund. When it's gotten out of control and I find myself hitting my head against the desk, because my friends (they know who they are) are making me crazy, i step back and ask myself...

WWjD?
What Would jeffy Do?

For those who didn't get to know Jeff, I can't really properly describe him. A caricature? A cartoon? A genius? All of the above? None of which could do him justice. Few knew him well enough to understand him, and not that i did, but his impact on me was profound. All the wonderful things I have written about Seattle would likely not have been in my reality without jeff's influence.

My first visit to Seattle began about dusk, one June evening when the Airport van delivered me to a dark forbidding home in Columbia City. Gabriel, the huge Newfoundland dog, barking. Hell, even the van driver was concerned about leaving me at this scary location "That dog sounds hungry" he warned. As I opened the solid door, the only opening through the dense laurel hedge, I spotted jeff, smiling welcoming-ly. I tipped the driver, thanked him and told him i was sure i was in safe surroundings .

Only a handful of people can fully appreciate all the any things that made jeff's light shine as brightly as it did. Recently, a date and I were chatting about some of the guys we had dated, locally. He told me a rather unflattering description of a A.D.D. freak, who had no social skills. (imagine being in the crowded Cinarama, and waving at people way up in the Balcony!). Eventually he came to the part where I couldn't allow him to continue. I told him of what a loyal friend, jeff was and how he had really missed an opportunity to meet real genius and an amazing wisdom, although most likely, delivered by the voice Yoda.

No, my friend did not exaggerate his description of jeff, but all he saw was one side. knowing jeff has caused me to look deeper into others, but rarely finding the brilliance, charity, wisdom and yes silliness that kept jeff in awe and wonder about everything, from a snow flake to digital camera.

Of the few who really knew him none will ever forget him

One day, i hope to be a boy... like jeff

WWjD?

No comments:

Post a Comment